Let’s “Keep Each Other Safe” This National Safety Month
June is National Safety Month, when the National Safety Council begins a campaign to increase safety awareness with the goal of reducing preventable injuries and deaths.
Preventable deaths are at an all-time high in America. In fact, more than 130,00 people die needlessly every year – one every four minutes – from something preventable like a car crash, poisoning or a fall. What if we could reverse this trend and bring the number down to zero?
This year’s theme of Keep Each Other Safe looks at how we can bring safety in the workplace back to our home and communities. With a little education, we can all be on the lookout for dangers so we can prevent injuries before they happen.
Each week in June focuses on a different safety topic:
- Week 1: Stand Up to Falls
- Week 2: Recharge to Be In Charge (Focusing on Fatigue)
- Week 3: Prepare for Active Shooters
- Week 4: Don’t Just Sit There (Focusing on Ergonomics)
- Member-exclusive Bonus Week: Road Safety for Workers
With leadership and employee engagement being crucial to a successful environmental, health and safety program, think of ways you can involve your teams in this exciting month. To get you started, here are 10 ways you can help celebrate National Safety Month in your organization:
- Kick-off one of your meetings in early June with a safety talk about National Safety Month
- Distribute the free weekly downloadable materials – sign up today
- Attend the free National Safety Month webinar – Preventable Deaths: A Public Health Crisis
- Create bulletin boards or newsletter entries based on the weekly topics
- Hold a safety trivia contest with prizes each week
- Conduct a FREE Employee Safety Perception Survey at org/journey
- Ask employees to go on walks in safety teams around your facility to identify hazards
- Throw a safety fair or celebratory luncheon
- Share posts on your social media channels using #KeepEachOtherSafe
- Show you care about the safety of your co-workers and families by making a donation to support NSC
Safety is important all year-round, but thousands of organizations across the country will be working to highlight it in their organizations this June. Will you be one of them? Help give your workers, family and friends the tools they need to Keep Each Other Safe, and join us in eliminating preventable deaths.
Debbie Zewe. National Safety Council